About Hidden Door
Hidden Door is a game technology studio using machine learning to build the future of immersive entertainment. Our mission is to inspire creativity through play with narrative AI. Our first product is a social roleplaying game platform that turns any work of fiction into an infinite narrative multiverse.
Our underlying technology is built on extensible proprietary models of language and art, based on millions of stories. Through its APIs, developers can build online experiences for players to interactively co-create adventures, while adhering to rigorous content and safety standards. In the future, creators will be able to automatically adapt their existing works for the platform through our marketplace.
Founded in 2020 by Hilary Mason and Matt Brandwein, we're proud to be backed by Makers Fund, Northzone, Betaworks, Brooklyn Bridge Ventures, Homebrew, and angels Dan Sturman (CTO of Roblox) and Joshua Schacter (founder of del.icio.us).
In the News
- Hidden Door unveils new art style for its AI-based narrative game VentureBeat | 2023-11-02
- Hilary Mason: Deterministic vs Probabilistic, and How AI is Changing Storytelling Generative Now | 2023-11-02
- Taking a peek behind Hidden Door's AI GamesIndustry | 2023-08-30
- How do you prevent an AI-generated game from losing the plot? Engadget | 2023-06-20
- Hidden Door launches playtests for Wizard of Oz games created by generative AI VentureBeat | 2023-06-19
- Creator of AI game Hidden Door: 'I don't think AI is innately evil—I think what we're arguing about is who gets to benefit' PC Gamer | 2023-06-11
- Exploring the potential of generative AI in games VentureBeat | 2023-05-23
- AI Is Reimagining the Way We Play Role-Playing Games CNET | 2023-05-06
- GamesBeat Summit 2023 will capture how generative AI is changing gaming VentureBeat | 2023-05-03
- AI Can't Take Over Everyone's Jobs Soon (If Ever) IEEE Spectrum | 2023-04-10
- I saw the first major 'AI game' coming to PC, and it convinced me of its potential for storytelling PC Gamer | 2023-04-05
- Hidden Door wants to turn fiction into immersive roleplaying experiences TechCrunch | 2022-10-27
- Hidden Door raises $7m to build the future of immersive entertainment 2022-07-21
- Hidden Door reveals its AI-powered narrative game platform VentureBeat | 2022-03-16
- Hidden Door Launches AI Game Platform to Build the Narrative Multiverse Business Wire | 2022-03-16
- Hilary Mason Explains Machine Learning in 5 Levels of Difficulty WIRED | 2021-08-18
Logos and Key Art
- Hilary Mason, Co-founder, CEO
- Matt Brandwein, Co-founder, Product
- Brianna McHorse, Engineering Manager
- Chris Foster, Game Director
- Daniel Abensour, Art Director
- Ryan Micallef, Research Engineer, Machine Learning
- Lou Huang, Software Engineer, Gameplay
- Evelyn King, Software Engineer
- Melody Firing, Product Designer
- Chris Wallace, Software Engineer
- Amber Cook, Marketing Director
- Dominic Dagradi, Software Engineer, Gameplay
- Beneeta Kaur, Social Media Manager
- Release Date
About the Game
When you encounter a fictional world you love, you can’t help but imagine… what if? What if you could be anyone, go anywhere, make it your own? To expand on the original creator’s work, bringing your own creativity to take it in new directions? And where you’ve got help, from your friends and a system that magically improvises along with you.
That’s what we’re building here at Hidden Door – technology that will transform how we interact with our favorite worlds, where anyone can be the hero of their own stories. Our first product is an online story-driven roleplaying game, where groups of friends can conjure characters and improvise adventures, together with authors and other creators.
With the vibe of a tabletop roleplaying game — including a playful narrator, your "AI Dungeon Master" — and styled as interactive graphic novels, you'll experience endless adventures together with a host of responsively generated NPCs, items, and locations. In a future release, you'll be able to collect, trade, and share elements of your stories to remix into new worlds and stories.