Senior Software Engineer, Platform
We're looking for an experienced senior engineer to help design, build, and maintain our narrative AI platform.
Hidden Door is a game technology studio building the first narrative AI — a platform that transforms any work of fiction into an infinite social roleplaying experience, bringing together players, authors and other creators.
We're looking for a platform software engineer to help design, build, and maintain the backend for our game and platform. Our server architecture is substantially written in Python to support our machine learning systems (e.g. spaCy, PyTorch, Hugging Face).
You'll be joining our small and mighty engineering team, with opportunities to work on all parts of our system! If you're interested in working on creative experiences at the intersection of engineering, ops, narrative gaming and AI, we want to talk to you 🙂
We'd love to meet if you have:
- Experience building client-server API architectures with Python.
- Experience with applications backed by a database.
- Experience with infrastructure, including having shipped a production application running on at least one cloud service.
- Informed opinions about instrumentation, monitoring, and observability.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, with a love of close collaboration.
And it'd be ideal if you also have:
- Architected complex backend applications that have scaled gracefully over time.
- Designed beautiful public APIs used in production by multiple consumers.
- Experience designing, deploying, and scaling relational and NoSQL databases.
- Good taste in picking the right tools for the job, to help us make several infrastructure and tool choices in the near future.
- Background in consumer-facing mobile, web, social, or game engine apps.
- Passion for telling stories and playing games — even better if you've written stories or worked on a game of any type!
- Interest in building applications with machine learning and natural language processing.
Other things to know
- We're a small, fully remote international team, focused on North American and Western European time zones.
- The whole team meets up quarterly IRL, often internationally, for planning and fun. Recently we've been to New Orleans and Lisbon! Expect adventure 🚀
- We're flexible about working hours and trust you to bring your best. Both co-founders have young children and we are committed to a healthy, balanced life.
- This is a startup 😉 We're building a company together as much as we are building a game together, and we want your help.
- We value curiosity, creativity, and diverse perspectives.
- We strongly encourage candidates from under-represented or non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
- 🏝️ Unlimited vacation (with minimum vacation requirement 🙂)
- 🏠 Fully remote team and culture
- 🩺 100% medical, dental, and vision for employees, and family coverage
- 💪🏻 Reproductive and gender-affirming care benefit
- 💵 $1,000 annual home office budget ($2,000 your first year)
- 🥇 Competitive salary and equity
- 🙈 No NFTs or crypto