Head of Engineering
We're looking for an experienced engineering leader to build, mentor, and manage our talented engineering team.
Hidden Door is a game technology studio building the first narrative AI — a platform that transforms any work of fiction into an infinite social roleplaying experience, bringing together players, authors and other creators.
We're looking for an outstanding engineering leader to recruit, mentor, and lead our team of talented engineers! You'll work closely with our founders and other leaders to design and build our game and platform. You should be passionate about the craft of management, and have excellent technical judgement.
Things you'll do:
- Bring a product mindset to translating vision into technical plans and priorities.
- Guide technical archicture in partnership with our (very technical) co-founders.
- Help our diverse and brilliant engineers thrive in the day to day as well as progressing toward their longer-term career goals.
- Partner with our creative team to make new things possible at the intersection of machine learning and creative game design.
- We're inventing something new -- you'll be running an effective and kind engineering organization to rapidly explore and scale in a broad, creative solution space.
We'd love to meet if you have:
- Managed a team of engineers for at least two years.
- Demonstrated track record of hiring and mentoring a diverse and inclusive team, and a strong point of view on excellent engineering team cultures.
- Technical familiarity with modern web architectures.
- Built production systems used by multiple customers, and according appreciation for beautiful systems design.
- Excellent judgement for build/buy and architectural design decisions.
- Comfortable translating product priorities to technical plans and ability to manage through uncertainty.
- Informed opinions about instrumentation, monitoring, and observability.
- Robust approaches to QA, testing, and managing technical debt.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, with a love of close collaboration.
- Desire and appreciation for talking to players and customers.
And it'd be ideal if you also have:
- Familiarity with machine learning and the Python ML ecosystem is a bonus!
- Familiarity with the major cloud providers and ability to guide us to make several infrastructure choices in the near future.
- Passion for telling stories and playing games — even better if you've written stories or worked on a game of any type!
Other things to know
- We're a small, fully remote international team, focused on North American and Western European time zones.
- The whole team meets up quarterly IRL, often internationally, for planning and fun. Recently we've been to New Orleans and Lisbon! Expect adventure 🚀
- While this is a full-time position, we're flexible about working hours and trust you to bring your best. Both co-founders have young children and we are committed to a healthy, balanced life.
- This is a startup 😉 We're building a company together as much as we are building a game together, and we want your help.
- We value curiosity, creativity, and diverse perspectives.
- We strongly encourage candidates from under-represented or non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
- 🏝️ Unlimited vacation (with minimum vacation requirement 🙂)
- 🏠 Fully remote team and culture
- 🩺 100% medical, dental, and vision for employees, and family coverage
- 💪🏻 Reproductive and gender-affirming care benefit
- 💵 $1,000 annual home office budget ($2,000 your first year)
- 🥇 Competitive salary and equity
- 🙈 No NFTs or crypto